Keys

Locks have been around a very long time! Archaeologists can date the lock back to a palace in Ninevah, 4,000 years ago! Very simple in design but functional. Several men have taken the lock and made great improvements over the centuries. The ones most common to us are: Robert Barron(patented the double-acting tumbler lock), Joseph Bramah(patented the safety lock in 1784), James Sargent(invented the world;s first successful key-changeable combination lock in 1857), Samuel Segal (former NYC policeman invented the first jimmy proof lock in 1916 and holds more than 25 patents), Harry Soref(founded the Master Lock Company in 1921 and patented a couple of locks using laminated steel), and Linus Yale Jr.(His father invented the pin-tumbler lock in 1848, his son patented a cylinder pin-tumbler lock in 1861 and invented the modern combination lock in 1862) Many of these we recognize, or certainly recognize the locks they represent!
Even a non-mechanical person like me can see the names of these men and know how successful they were! lol...And their legacies still are! Yale, Master and Sargent are still big names in the lock business.
But, what would a lock be without a key. I imagine the "lock" was invented a very long time ago.....but the KEY is what makes it so special. I bet some little boy "locked" up another likely right out of the garden of Eden:) I can lock someone up. My kids have played London bridge, I played London bridge! We can lock up people, but the true gift is the key. The ability to return or unlock is the neatest invention!
In our children's lives, they are the lock. Inside them are great and unimaginable feats, all awaiting a key. We also realize that in the life of our children, there are many "house keys". Many a mom, dad, teacher or friend will "unlock" and open a child. They will all bring about change. Each will have a profound influence. As parents we understand this. We welcome good change and we cringe at bad. For some children the lock opens wide and full absorbing surroundings and making adjustments that help the child in life... Some children are tougher picks. We have to really work to find the key that brings that opens....but as with most people, we do eventually see the key and find a way to use it wisely and carefully with that child. Then, some children are locked up tighter than FT Knox!! The keys seems to be buried under tons of yuck! We spend countless hours trying different keys. We can become overwhelmed and frustrated. It is seemingly "hopeless"....but you know, there are keys even to Ft Knox. There is a way in. It is not easy, but attainable.
I think in my parenting the Ft Knoxs are by far,and most obviously, the toughest! They challenges us as no other. I am always impressed by the mothers who write books, who talk to us about their lives. They put before us a bowl of keys....hope! Through their experience they give us hope. Through their success we see a brighter future.
I do understand and know, there are some keys that never open Some locks are damaged and perhaps even the right key will no longer turn. In those cases I have to place my hope and faith in the understanding that God understands!
The Bible with it's inspired words even talks to us about "keys". Luke 11:52 shows us the key of knowledge. Even Revelation 1:18 talks of the keys of death! Matthew 16:19 tells us of the keys of the kingdom, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven." So, I know God has given me all the keys I need! Now if I can just find those locks!!
Even a non-mechanical person like me can see the names of these men and know how successful they were! lol...And their legacies still are! Yale, Master and Sargent are still big names in the lock business.
But, what would a lock be without a key. I imagine the "lock" was invented a very long time ago.....but the KEY is what makes it so special. I bet some little boy "locked" up another likely right out of the garden of Eden:) I can lock someone up. My kids have played London bridge, I played London bridge! We can lock up people, but the true gift is the key. The ability to return or unlock is the neatest invention!
In our children's lives, they are the lock. Inside them are great and unimaginable feats, all awaiting a key. We also realize that in the life of our children, there are many "house keys". Many a mom, dad, teacher or friend will "unlock" and open a child. They will all bring about change. Each will have a profound influence. As parents we understand this. We welcome good change and we cringe at bad. For some children the lock opens wide and full absorbing surroundings and making adjustments that help the child in life... Some children are tougher picks. We have to really work to find the key that brings that opens....but as with most people, we do eventually see the key and find a way to use it wisely and carefully with that child. Then, some children are locked up tighter than FT Knox!! The keys seems to be buried under tons of yuck! We spend countless hours trying different keys. We can become overwhelmed and frustrated. It is seemingly "hopeless"....but you know, there are keys even to Ft Knox. There is a way in. It is not easy, but attainable.
I think in my parenting the Ft Knoxs are by far,and most obviously, the toughest! They challenges us as no other. I am always impressed by the mothers who write books, who talk to us about their lives. They put before us a bowl of keys....hope! Through their experience they give us hope. Through their success we see a brighter future.
I do understand and know, there are some keys that never open Some locks are damaged and perhaps even the right key will no longer turn. In those cases I have to place my hope and faith in the understanding that God understands!
The Bible with it's inspired words even talks to us about "keys". Luke 11:52 shows us the key of knowledge. Even Revelation 1:18 talks of the keys of death! Matthew 16:19 tells us of the keys of the kingdom, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven." So, I know God has given me all the keys I need! Now if I can just find those locks!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home