Parenting teens
What is it that makes people believe that teenagers should "experience" things that we would not ever think of doing as adults? Why do parents believe that they are denying children the joy of being a teenager when keeping them from activities that are not best?
We talked some about this in class at church last night. In our church there are mixed rules about teenage activites. Many feel it is fine for thier children to go to dances. I mean, good grief, could you imagine the way our children would be outcast if they did not go to Santa Switch?? Scott and I decided long ago, when Chelsea was a baby, that dancing was not an activity our children would do (if we could help it) until they were married. I am not extreme (as some would think), my kids dance around the kitchen to music....I even do so, Scott and I twirl and act silly. But this is such a loooonnnggg stretch from hormones rubbing and grinding to a beat I do not want to see! What a temptation for a young man! I really do not care what others say, our young men ARE influenced by watching (and feeling) young girls! I do not wich my girls to be temptors or my boys tempted. Is simply NOT BEST. A sin? Maybe/ maybe not....but why on earth take the chance?
Why should we send so much time, well invested time, teaching our children how to be Christ-like, only to allow them to do things that adult Christians would never consider?? If is is uncomfortable for us as adults, something that hinges on not right, why on earth let our children? Our children will not grow up and find things uncomforatble if they are seen it all and done it all. There would be no modesty!
So why do people let thier children do these things? Because they love them ofcourse. They want them to fit in. They want them to feel special. They want thier kids to love them. Well, this is not the way. Christ is the way. Through Him our children will be set apart with confidence. Will be lights that shine through the darkness. They will be speical beyond all earthly glory. And someday will be so very grateful that thier parents guided them when temptation was so strong.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home