Amanda's Thoughts

Monday, August 28, 2006

Parenting on the go


In this crazy world (although I think it is somewhat unique to the United States) people are always in a hurry. Seems that parenting on the go is a way of life. While the pace of life is certainly something to be concerned about....the car riding captive audience is sometimes a good thing. I have always loved car time with my riders who are close to me (as in talking distance). It is a time to chat and hear about activities. I have always loved picking up my children from school. They are always eager to tell the days happenings as they get in. It seems that time away from school dulls that desire. I have to "lead" them to retell it to Dad at dinner.

I read an article the other day that said working mom's only spent 19 minutes a day with thier children. Another 25 minutes with kids while they cooked, did laundry or whatever. That's it! I really did not agree at first. In our community that does not have to be so.....mom's do not commute for hours and such. But it does seem that, as parents, the one on one time with kids is dwindling away(working moms or not!). Kids have way to many toys that keep them from the craving of mom time, and mom's have way too many resposnibilities that keep them from seeking out the attention of kids who are quietly doing something. Kinda the "do not wake the sleeping baby" mind set!

Each day we lose valuable time with our children. I can say that I am up to my eyeballs in my children...lol! They do go to school and my time with them is limited. But this year, we have instated some rules that take away the 'clutter'. Clutter being the things that build up and take us away from each other. After school I do not allow any TV until after dinner. Seems I had become a little lax on my TV rules. After dinner there is only an hour until quiet time and it seems to be really working well for us. I have a few minutes to get the kitchen team working and preparing for the night. Our twilight hour...the hour the children are to be in their rooms getting ready for bed, reading, finishing any rediculously long homework, brushing teeth, and so on....is a great hour to throw out there for my kids. They come to me and tell me all the things that sometimes wait until bedtime and I do not like to hear when they are suppose to be asleep! Afternoons are still a nice time for my homeworkers and barstool sitters. Without TV there is no reason to hurry through our work. And my barstool sitters act like the "kitchen cooking network" is a spectator sport! I have decided that I feel like I am on Cheers(minus the alcohol), the barsitters are a laugh a minute and the information gathered there is always interesting!!

It is so important, and I speak to myself, that I not let a single minute of time slide away!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home