Home:)
It is always nice to be home. Everyone did well while we were away. Kelly is the "bomb diggity" (as my kids would say)! She is truly wonderful! I laughed, more people asked about Kelly than my kids:) I gave them glowing talks about my wonderful friend!
Today life was right back in the thick of things here at the Smotherman house. Sarah, Seth and I picked up flowers for his two teachers and Mrs Pat (Love and Learn director) for letting him come to school everyday while I was gone. Seth was in heaven! His best buddy Hayden, was there on Mon, Wed, and Fri. His new best buddy Korey was there on the regular Tues and Thurs. Seth told Chelsea by phone "It's Hayden then Korey then Hayden then Korey then Hayden......" I was so glad he was happy. The only one who would truly be displaced by us being away. As we tried to peal the stickers off the flowers, Seth told Sarah he was doing a better job because he was "using his licky fingers". lol....meaning he was licking his fingers and then pealing. Sarah opted to use the bathroom at school to finish getting them off.
Scott and I brought all the kids something back. Most of them shirts. Ryan, showing he enjoys commercials way to much, argued that his shirt had "Geico's on it, not geckos!"
Sarah had to be in Jackson this morning at the surgery center to have all her pre-op paperwork and blood work completed. We picked Chelsea up on the way and I enjoyed a wonderful day with my two big girls. I don't have them together as much now with Chelsea in college. But, what a joy today was!
Sarah and I made it home in time to pick up everyone. I had several with spelling words to write. Zack showing me reality was still here has been in melt down mode all evening. Tearing paper, yelling, throwing things, and basically not doing any of his work. His response? I will never get it all done! Well, brothers and sisters quickly dispensed of theirs and are now playing outside! But, he is absolutely right. If he does not choose to sit down and do them, it might take forever (or at very least a long time!).
Carlton broke a ground rule while we were gone. His behavior on his charts was very good. But, he manipulated Mrs Kelly into letting him have a spend the night friend due to his good behavior "earning him this privilege". Sarah did tell him no, but let Mrs. Kelly override, deciding to allow Carlton sink his boat. Ground rule in this house "NO spend the night company while we are away" In truth no company at all. But, certainly none spending the night. Ground rule for Carlton, "Do NOT expect a privilege that has not been discussed". This was NOT discussed. Carlton, who we clearly sat down and talked to before leaving understood no privileges would be given by Mrs Kelly other than the following: outside playtime, game boy, or 30 min. computer time. when we talked about the incident? He explained that he earned it! He then conveniently did not remember any of our conversation before leaving! I sent him to his room to think about out conversation. He acted and spoke out in anger and was directed to fill out an anger report. It took roughly an hour and 40 minutes to correctly write it. Now we wait for a sit down with dad. Sad, mostly because my parting words to Carlton were, "You can really earn a lot of trust by obeying while we are gone". I did not follow it with how much he could lose. I chose to think of the positive! He chose to be deceptive. A loss.
Sam is in melt down over his bike, choosing to try to break Daniels bike. Apparently something happened to his while we were gone. This morning I intervened over the argument and Sam was told Dad would fix his bike. But, this afternoon deciding to take it into his own hands and pursue vengeance. In truth it just cut short his outside time as he was sent to shower and get PJ's on.
I can honestly say that none of this is terribly abnormal, yet the trip certainly has my batteries recharged. The fuses of my children have not come anywhere near my new "to the Caribbean and back fuse". I know there are many who cannot "get away" but it is the most reassuring thing to me! It gives me perspective and I can walk back in to the fire fully emotionally protected! What a feeling!!

2 Comments:
"forgot the conversation" LOL>.. Gosh! Sounds just like my house! ditto the destroyed bike! Welcome home!
Lisa at http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot.com/
Lisa,
Thank you for the "welcome home"! I did have 3 goofy guys.....and 17 kiddos who were happy to see me back:) Frankly, even the toughies, except Carlton, were glad we were home!
Amanda
Post a Comment
<< Home