Amanda's Thoughts

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Growing up

It is very nice to have outside opinions when rearing children...but those are just that...OPINIONS. The parents position is just that....the PARENTS. I had a talk today with our youth minister.....a GREAT guy! We were talking about a situation involving one of my teens. About some ugly talking that had occured regarding said teen...After we finished and I was in the car I called him back. I did not want to come across as though I have "perfect kids"....what a thought! lol I have yet to meet anyone who does! But, I mostly called back to explain this....I do not get involved in the quarrels and yuck of my kids. I DO respond to what they bring to me. I am not going to dig to the bottom of a "who said what"! When my kids tell me something....right or wrong.....I deal with the teaching oportunity placed before me. It is not to say I do not want to hear if my kids need some help.....I do.

I have spent a lot of time with my girls (particularly) talking about the difference between "concern for a friend" and "gossip". When you go to a friend....it is concern. When you talk about that concern....it is gossip....unless it is with an authority figure who can truly help!! Generally speaking, peers are not authorities!

I say all that to say this..... I (or I should say we....I never forget Scott ) am trying my very best to raise level headed, reasonable, fair, respectful young Christians. They, as teenagers, are at an age that they CAN and WILL BE making a lot of decisions. I very much like to problem solve with them.... To think out loud with them....To provide guidelines for them....To love them and support them.....But the bottom line is that they (not mom and dad) are responsible for their actions. They need to know that now. As adults and as children there are consequences (good and bad and wishywashy) for every action. I cannot protect them from those consequences, nor do I wish to, this is how they learn!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home